20171121

“Other” vs. “Another”

  • Another + singular countable noun
  • Other is used before plural or uncountable nouns.
  • Other can accompanied by the article "the" in singular: example: the other car
Examples:
  • I need another cup. (cup is singular so we use another)
  • I need other cups. (cup is plural so we use other)
  • I need others. (refers to other cups)
  • The other people are waiting for the same thing.
More examples

I have two pencils. One is black, and the other is blue.
The other car cost much less.
I have two brothers. One of them lives in Canada. The other brother lives in Japan.”

  • Let’s meet another day.”
  • I’d like another piece of cake.
  • Other people have problems, too.” [people = plural noun]
  • “This book has other information.” [information = uncountable noun]
    • That piece of cake was tasty. I think I’ll have another. (another = one more piece of cake)
Others is a pronoun and is NOT followed by a noun.
  • These shoes are too small. Do you have any other shoes?
  • These shoes are too small. Do you have any others? (no noun after others)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment