20130226

Idioms


Get real!: Be realistic! / Don't be naive.
A: "I'm going to Las Vegas. I know I'll win a lot of money!"
B: "Get real! You'll probably lose a lot of money!"
 a (real) go-getter: a (very) ambitious, hard-working person.
"I'm not surprised that Jean finished before anyone else. She's a real go-getter."
 green: inexperienced.
"I don't think you can depend on Jack to do that job by himself. He's too green."
 hassle (noun): a troublesome situation; something troublesome that interrupts one's normal routine.
"I know it's a hassle to complete this form now, but Mr. Rogers
needs it in his office by the end of the day."
 have one's hands full: be extremely busy.
A: "Will you be able to help us this afternoon?"
B: "I'm afraid not. I'll have my hands full trying to finish my research paper."
 hit the books: study.
"I wish I could go to the movies, but I've got to hit the books."
 hit the hay: go to bed; go to sleep.
"It's late, so I guess I'll hit the hay."
 hit the sack: go to bed.
"I'm really tired. I think I'll hit the sack."

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment