20130613

More Idioms

add insult to injury

Meaning: Someone adds insult to injury if they say or do something to upset you a second time, after you've already been upset somehow.(=por si fuera poco, para colmo)
For example:
  • He said my clothes didn't suit me, and then to add insult to injury he said I needed to lose some weight!
  • The bank took back my car, and then added insult to injury by cancelling my credit cards!

against all odds | against all the odds

Meaning: If you do something against all odds, or against all the odds, you do it even though there were many problems and it didn't seem possible to do (=contra todo pronóstico).
For example:
  • He had a serious accident and was close to death but, against all odds, he recovered and now he's fine.
  • No-one thought we could do it but, against all the odds, we won the Olympic gold medal. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment