20130317

Illness idioms

1. hoarse voice. When your throat is sore and you cannot speak well due to illness, you have a hoarse voice. Hoarseness is a common symptom of a cold or flu, but can also be a warning sign for other conditions.
Example: I could hardly understand Luigi on the phone. He had a hoarse voice.

2. splitting headache
splitting headache is an extremely bad or severe headache.
Example: Could you please be quiet? I have a splitting headache.

3. Cold hands, warm heart.As someone who almost always has cold hands, I naturally thought that this English proverb was a nice one. It means that people whose hands are usually cold have kind and loving personalities. Since people who are ill often have cold hands too, it makes a nice addition to this idiom list.Example: Oh, Louise, your hands are cold. You know what they say, don’t you? Cold hands, warm heart.

4. to be fit as a horse / to be fit as a fiddleThe English idioms to be as fit as a horse or to be as fit as a fiddle are expressions that you can use to say that someone is very healthy.Example: I am not sick. In fact, I am as fit as a fiddle!

5. to be knocked outWhen you are extremely tired and/or unable to do anything, you are knocked out.Example: I expected that I could return to work after a week, but this flu has really knocked me out

6. to be sick as a dogSomeone who is extremely ill is as sick as a dog.Example: When you called me last night, I could hardly get of out bed to answer the telephone. I was as sick as a dog!

7. to be on the road to recoverySomeone who is on the road to recovery is recovering from an illness.Example: Good news! I am on the road to recovery and should be back at work by next Monday.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment